Monday, July 17, 2006

Taking a deep breath

Last night, after signing off here, I went to bed and found my DH there lol. He had said he was going to sleep upstairs at his parents' place, but then the kids asked him to stay with them, and he happily obliged, the softie, so much for discipline and routine...

He woke up when I got into bed and we started talking. He's a senior officer in the IDF and has been away up north all day long, not really listening to the news us civilians were exposed to. I told him how worried I was, and he gave me quite a pep talk. Said, the worse thing was worrying, as this is just what Nassaralla is after. He wants to terrorize us and we shouldn't let him. Said those weapons he has there are ridiculous, nothing to be afraid of. Sure, it's not nice being hit by a rocket, but the odds of that happening to one individual are still pretty slim. Said he worries much more about the kids when they are in the car on the way to kindergarten and back.

I asked what to do if I hear the sirens, shared the plan I had here, of grabbing the kids and running to my in-laws next door. Told him how worried I was at having to grab two kids by myself and run there, in the dark possibly, all in 3o seconds. He thought I went crazy lol. Said, no way, I am not to do that under any circumstance. He said it was way too dangerous, I could sprain an ankle on the way or something and besides it would traumatize the kids, and he won't have it. "So, what to do if I hear the sirens in the middle of the night?" I asked. His reply was, "Do nothing, just roll over and get back to sleep, best thing for you and the kids."

His reasoning is that by panicking I am causing direct damage to myself and the kids. Stress isn't good for anyone and the effects are certain. The threat from the missiles is a statistical occurence. There is a slim chance of being hit, but there's a 100% chance of being hurt by anxiety. What can I say, he made sense. My instructions for today are to keep away from news channels, work and re-focus on normal life. So... taking a deep breath here and continuing with life. That doesn't mean shutting myself completely from what's going on, just lowering the level of exposure and not turning into a nervous wreck. I'll post some more soon, about news and my own opinions about what's going on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your husband is a very wise man, and you are a very strong woman. The idea of laying in bed as the sirens go off is so odd to me, but I believe it is why Israel has survived so long.

I pray for your safety. Thanks for starting this blog!

Signed, Becky
small town USA