Saturday, July 22, 2006

My kids and the war

What a day... or more accurately, what an afternoon. My younger son, Dan, decided today was a good day to demonstrate to us what projectile vomiting is. He did it three times within an hour and a half, which was a bit scary. He wouldn't even hold water down... we ended up calling the doctor (it's Saturday - Shabbath - clinics are all closed). By the time the doctor arrived, he was ok again. No fever, no other symptoms, just vomiting. I confess, cleaning up vomit isn't one of my favorite things, so I really hope he's had enough and I won't have to clean a messy bed in the middle of the night...

Anyway, I did wonder if the current situation didn't have something to do with it. I know the kids really miss their dad. He's a very involved father, spends a lot of time with the kids and has a very good bond with them. He has been away from home on duty before, for 2-3 days at a time. This time it's longer, and also we can't tell them when he'll be back. I know it's upsetting for them. Well, upsetting for us as well :( I guess we shouldn't complain really, other people, on both sides of the border, are expriencing this war in worse ways.

Speaking of projectiles, I have a few pictures to share from today. I hope no one takes it the wrong way too, so I better start with some background. Although we had no direct hits in our town, the kids are aware by now that rockets are hitting Israel. It worries them, obviously. Today, Ron, my eldest, wanted to know what a rocket is exactly and how does it work. So, his grandfather suggested shooting some rockets lol. He brought out our rocket launcher for some rocket shooting... and they all had a great time.

Mind you, this was 100% playtime. We never told them to shoot it at anyone (no imaginary enemies or anything), hey, they were shooting at themselves, basically, as those rockets fall back on your head (good thing they have a sponge warhead lol). This was just pure fun, very funny and now they are no longer afraid of rockets hitting our town, after all, they're just made of sponge!

The little one is Dan, the projectile vomitter, the medium sized guy is Ron, my eldest. The older kid there with them is Hilel, their cousin and the even older kid is Amos, their grandpa.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy watching science and scientists in action. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I think Amos is a very wise man.

Signed, Becky
small town USA

Anonymous said...

what a difference between the way we Israelies deal wit hthis and the way others do - I can help no remembering the presentations of palestinian kids learning to shot real guns, they are the same age as your kids

mom in
NL